Will I need to pay taxes as an international student?

If I earn money in australia will I need to pay taxes?

1 Like

Yes you will need to. As the ATO website says: Studying in Australia | Australian Taxation Office

If you’re an overseas student and enrolled to study in Australia in a course that lasts for 6 months or more, you may be regarded as an Australian resident for tax purposes. Generally if you are an Australian resident you need to declare all income you’ve earned both in Australia and overseas on your Australian tax return. This means:

  • you pay tax on your earnings at the same rate as other residents
  • you’re entitled to the benefits of the Australian tax system, such as
    • the tax-free threshold (or part of it, if you’re here for only part of the financial year)
    • tax offsets
    • generally lower tax rates than a foreign resident.

thank you. How much will need to pay?

The amount of tax you pay will depend on how much you earn. In Australia its a progressive tax system, meaning the more you earn the more you will need to pay. How ever if you earn less than the tax free threshold of $18,200 you will not need to pay tax as outlined in Tax rates – Australian resident | Australian Taxation Office

will i still need to file tax even if i earn less than 18200?